Z39.50 and EndNote

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Mon Oct 26 18:04:49 EST 1998

					10/26/1998
Web4Lib Folks,

I have a rather specific question, so here's the short
version - hit delete unless the topic is of interest:

   Looking for seamless way to pull bib records

     - into personal bibliographic databases
       (Procite, EndNote)

     - from online bibliographic databases
       (Ovid, FirstSearch, etc.)

     - while validating users for these services
       (services provided under contract)

     - and while keeping our passwords for these
       online databases secure.

If you are still with me on this, would you take a look
at the idea outlined below?

    1. EndNote already has the ability to connect to
       z39.50 hosts and perform boolean searches..
       and save either all or selected results directly
       into an EndNote database.

       It can also be loaded on a network server with
       the parameters for specific hosts preconfigured.
       (The parameters are stored in "connection files")

       Unfortunately, if the host requires a password,
       the user (conceivably any of our 7000+ students)
       can view the password and share it with others.
       Anywhere in the world.   Large scale use of
       our passwords by unauthorized persons would
       wreak havoc with our contracts.

    2. I'm on the verge of asking Niles Software to create
       a version of their software targeted for site licenses,
       with these features..

       - The creator of a "connection file" can check a box
         to specify that the password should never be displayed
         to users, and should be encrypted.

       - The encryption of the password would be based on
         the domain-level IP address of the computer on which
	 the connection file was created.  (i.e. 129.212)

       - Endnote software could only use an encrypted connection
         file if the computer on which it is running is within
         the same IP domain.  (Our on campus users, and users
         connecting through our campus modem pool would be able
         to use our connection files.)

Sound workable?  Reasonable?  From your experience at your site,
would the software publisher find any demand for this feature?
(Or would I be asking the publisher to add features that no one
else cares about?)
Kyle Harriss		      voice: (218) 726-6546
UMD Library		      email: kharriss at d.umn.edu
10 University Drive
Duluth,  MN  55812