[WEB4LIB] TAN: Leasing computers in libraries

Donald Barclay donaldb at library.tmc.edu
Mon Oct 26 12:42:09 EST 1998

My library is leasing its public-access computers. I'm not up on all the
financial deatails of the lease, which I didn't negotiate, but I'll share
what I know.

We have about 70 public-access machines--all Dells. The cost is about the
same as buying. We got a good service contract as part of the lease, but we
might have got the same thing if we had purchased the machines.

What remains to be seen is what happens when the lease is up. At the end of
three years, the computers go back to Dell. This may sound kind of scary,
but on the other hand it does force the administrators' hands:

When the library owns the computers, the administrators can always say,
"Keep on using the machines you have." (Thus the explanation for those 286s
grinding away over in the corner.)

However, when the library leases the computers and the computers are going
bye-bye, the only choice is to come up with new computers or to not have any
computers at all. (At which point our users riot and burn down the
administration building.)

I'm not sure how it will all work out, but my thinking is that leasing is
the smart way to go. After all, those corporate bean counters don't lease
computers because it is less cost effective than buying them. I'm convinced
enough that the next time I "buy" a home computer, I'm going to lease it
instead. I have to, as my garage is already filled with old computers I
can't give away. Anybody want a Commodore 64?

Donald A. Barclay                          always the beautiful answer
Houston Academy of Medicine-               who asks the more beautiful question
Texas Medical Center Library                        --e.e. cummings
donaldb at library.tmc.edu