[WEB4LIB] help with FrontPage

John Rosenhamer jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us
Mon Oct 26 12:07:43 EST 1998

OOOOOOOO   KKKKKKKK   CCCCCCCC   CCCCCCCC   CCCCCCCC

                                    John H. Rosenhamer
                         Oklahoma City Community College
              7777 S. May Ave.                Oklahoma City, OK   73159
                (405) 682-1611 ext. 7229              FAX: (405) 682-7585
                                    jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us

                      Opinions are mine (I think) and not necessarily those
                                    of my employer or anyone else.

OOOOOOOO   KKKKKKKK   CCCCCCCC   CCCCCCCC   CCCCCCCC

>>> "Grace Garbe" <garbe_grace at dsmc.dsm.mil> 10/23/98 02:52PM >>>
I have created a new webpage for our library using FrontPage 98 (a very frustrating experience when one is used to doing it all by hand), and  I'm experiencing some problems that I hope someone can help me with.

1.  now that the "web" has been "published" to my web server, can I use the UNIX vi editor to make some changes to the page without anything horrible happening?  There are no base HREF or meta tags for description and keywords (I didn't see any way to add these using FP)  and I want to add those.  There also is no DOCTYPE and I'm not sure which (if any) version of HTML FrontPage 98 complies with.  I ran the page through the validator at w3.org and it doesn't validate as HTML 4.0 Transitional.   Will anything adverse happen if I remove the height attribute that FP added to a <TABLE> tag?  I have visions of losing my whole page if I make changes to it with vi and then have to pull it back into the FP explorer and editor at some point to make adjustments to the image map.  Would it be better to pull the page back into the FP editor now and edit the HTML there?

If you are comfortable with vi do it there.  The browser doesn't care where the code came from.  Also, I often edit code that is generated by programs like FrontPage 98, because it often has lots of extra code which only gunks up the file.  Rather than use vi, I like to use Brooklyn North,s HTML Assistant Pro 97 - http://www.brooknorth.com/
.  But vi is fine.  Assistant Pro allows me to ftp the finished page to my Unix based browser.  The Base line is you can edit, and you won't loose the page.

2.  the alignment of the cells within the table is off when the page is displayed in two of our small monitors and the color of the graphic supporting the image map is also wrong.  Is there anything I can do to the page so that it will display properly in all  monitors.  I know the color is probably controlled by the settings in the windows display within the control panel, but automation has locked us out of that area of those computers.  I'm assuming that I have no control over how the color will display in Joe Public's monitor if he has it set to a limited number of colors.

No, you have some control.  You can tell your page to load a % of the page rather than a definite size.  Then at least the tables should load into the two small monitors so you can easily see them. i.e. SIZE="25%" rather than SIZE=145.  As to the color, the settings in windows can control that.  If systems would, you can ask them to set the color to the color sent to the browser rather than specify a color.

The page is located at <http://www.library.dsmc.dsm.mil/>.

Thanks for your help.

Grace Garbe
ZAI AMELEX