Email/Internet "kiosks"

Fritzi Batchelor hbladm11 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Sun Oct 25 13:23:02 EST 1998

If this has been covered, I apologize.

At UConn, we have two spaces in the Library with "mainframe
terminals" (dumb 3270 terminals, owned and operated by our Computer
Center).  Over the years, there is less use of the IBM
mainframe-based applications, 'till now, students use these terminals
primarily for mainframe, character-based email (PROFS or MAIL).

One of the spaces is our newly rennovated public lounge, open 24 hrs.
Due to an external funding opportunity, we may be able to replace 20
of the mainframe terminals with some version of workstation,
providing GUI email and Internet browsing capabilities.

We are looking at a variety of options, including:  NET PC, Java
workstations, IMacs, etc., with LabPop for email (student accounts
provide only mainframe server storage) and an Internet browser with a
Word text reader for reading attachments.

My question to you:
Are any of you providing a similar set up?  What workstation and
server configuration are you using?  How do you secure the
workstations from a physical and program standpoint (from midnight to
7AM, this space is unattended).

Thanks in advance.
Fritzi Batchelor, Head
Information Technology Services
Homer Babbidge Library, U-5SY
369 Fairfield Road Storrs, CT 06269-1005
Phone: 203-486-5397
Email: hbladm11 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Web: http://www.lib.uconn.edu/~hbladm11