New search engine -- with filters

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Oct 22 08:16:46 EDT 1998

G'mornin', web4libers.  I tried Searchopolis, but I couldn't find the Starr
report.  Then I remembered--N2H2 (the company that produces Bess and now
Searchopolis) put out a press release announcing it had *blocked* the Starr
report.

This seems more like a home-use tool.  Even then, I'd want to explain to
school-age kids, at least, that this isn't the whole Internet--just one
company's spin on it.  As someone pointed out, that will be tough to do,
since Searchopolis doesn't market the fact that it provides limited access
to information.

I'd want to see a systematic study of Searchopolis before deciding it was
an appropriate tool for an information-systems environment.
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield