[WEB4LIB] Web server spoofing

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Oct 14 18:03:47 EDT 1998

At 01:59 PM 10/14/98 -0700, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>I am investigating strange entries in our web server's access log, in which
>our server is being told to GET a cgi on a porno site (nakedgirls.com). I
>suspect that the porno site has a long list of other companies' web servers,
>which are used at random, perhaps to a) shove the traffic load off onto other
>(unsuspecting) sites, and/or b) to sidestep filtering software. My questions:
>
>1. Has anyone else noticed this?

We had a case on campus where the streaming audio from the campus radio
station was being used as "background music" for a porn site.  When the
folks here figured out the load on the network, and where it was being
called from, they contacted they porn site and asked them to immediately
cease doing so.  They did.  End of story.  They didn't even have to
threaten to sic the lawyers on them.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/