WEB4LIB] Re: e-mail in Librarie

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at mail.well.com
Wed Oct 14 13:30:46 EDT 1998

having the ability to exchange information and ideas between and among themselves as individuals and among the community.
> What an irony this is! Librarians, notorious defenders of freedom of speech, vehement opponents of the CDA, now seek to consciously prohibit taxpayers/students from exercising their freedom of speech to send an e-mail to their congressperson. We should ask the ALA what their position is on this

issue (however, as John Berry has pointed out in recent editorials in LJ, their priorities are somewhat suspect). I say we stop advertising to the community that we provide "Internet" access and change that to "database" access, as these e-mail policies will restrict any intercommunication among
users, turning the Internet from a dynamic to a static medium.
> Time to get off my soapbox.
> Brenda (Bozo) Tyler

These days I am a writer and consultant, not a public or
academic librarian (although I have been both), so I can only
step into the fray so far. But I couldn't let Brenda's comments
about ALA stand unchallenged.
ALA isn't 'they.' ALA is us. And if this is an issue you think
ALA should address, tell us -- including me, an ALA
Councilor. John Berry has always had ideas about ALA 's
priorities, but his ideas may not be yours, or mine.

GraceAnne DeCandido, ALA Councilor at large

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Editorial & Web Consulting, New York City
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

the net is just like everywhere else, only more so.