[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Wed Oct 14 09:13:13 EDT 1998

>. . .
>Granted, we must make resource allocation decisions all the time.  The
>question should be whether this particular decision is based on a correct
>understanding of our patrons' needs and/or on mandated institutional
>policies. . . .

No more calls Ladies and Gentlemen --- We HAVE a winner !

That is the point exactly !!!!!!!!!
As devoted as all of us may be to our own specific philosophies - and
manyon both sides have argued eloquently -
The truth is in most instances the library serves a support role -
i.e. We are here to meet the needs of a given population - who see fit to
fund us because we meet those needs.

In one library that population may want\need\demand access to e-mail.  If
they ban it - they risk alienating the people they want so badly to serve.
In another library the population may really not care - or they may be more
interested in having the terminals free for other uses.

We have been on both sides of this fence -
We banned e-mail for a while at least in part because many in our faculty
were concerned that their students would not have access to do their research.
We now allow it at least in part because a growing number of our faculty
wanted to use this medium to communicate with students.

When all the dust settles and the smoke clears - there is still no ONE
right answer.  The answer -- which will differ with each institution --
lies in right thinking. Examining the needs\desires of our poulation, the
resources we have to meet these, and, yes, the philosophies of our staff
and administration -- then trying to find the best balance we can at a
given time.

To the extent that a discussion like this causes us to reexamine our
positions and make us look more closely at what our objectives are and how
we meet them (and to the extent that it stays civil) - I totally agree that
this is a valid discussion. -- Hey - I love mental volleyball as well as
anyone :)

All standard disclaimers apply -
PHG