[WEB4LIB] E-mail in libraries

Alicia Abramson alicia at newton.library.american.edu
Wed Oct 14 09:50:23 EDT 1998

I know much has already been said here, but, I can't resist getting into
the fray...

I understand the argument that e-mail, when done on expensive computers
which allow our users to access our expensive databases, can be seen as an
illegitimate use of an expensive resource, however, in my opinion, this
seems a a little short-sighted.  My bet is that in another couple of years
the issue will be resolved as more libraries begin to expand their ideas
about our role in the new information age...remember, that the pooling of
funds to build a collection of books that would be lent for *free* to our
communities was pretty revolutionary at the turn of the century.  And about
the other expensive resource in our libraries--BOOKS--we do allow people to
monopolize this resource, for weeks and even months at a time and if
someone else wants the book, we ask the person who's been using it to give
it back....it's a system that we set up to deal with competing desires for
the same resource.

And that's how I think we need to approach the e-mail question--not to
banish it, and go on about how we are being abused by students, homeless,
or people we just don't like, by their unabashed desire to communicate via
e-mail--we must develop systems to deal with competing desires for
resources we provide instead of banning entire classes of use of our
Internet/Web computers.  (ideas already mentioned include separate machines
for e-mail, with sign-ups or whatever to insure equitable access, or
prioritzation of types of uses)..Whether that's electronic or human
enforced policy, I believe we should be creative about this. (And one last
thing...is it really insulting that some students who could go somewhere
else to do e-mail, prefer to come to the library?  Is it laziness, or
something else?)

Alicia...Hoping the stereotype doesn't go from the pince-nez-wearing
"sshhhing" librarian to the red faced "WE DON'T ALLOW E-MAIL--Go Do it
somewhere else!"  librarian...Abramson

P.S. I work in a real live academic library that does allow e-mail

                              Alicia Abramson
                              Head, Library Systems
                              American University
                              (202) 885-3228