Update, Comments, Questions

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Tue Oct 13 19:43:05 EDT 1998

First, the update:  I have considered everyone's feedback
 regarding the Deja News Forum I had earlier set up for The
 New Athenaeum and have since dropped the forum, given
 the problems people had in attempting to sign on and send
 messages.  I replaced the forum with a simple but effective
 Listbot list, which works strictly via e-mail.  Everyone is
 welcome to join that list, which focuses on the general topics
 of Internet resources, resource guides and anything
 regarding The New  Athenaeum.  For more, please visit
 the main site:  http://members.spree.com/athenaeum
 (mirror: http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess/athenaeum)

A comment:  www.Listbot.com seems like a great free
 service, allowing anyone to establish their own mailing list.
 If anyone here has wanted to do something like this, it
 is quite easy.  Listbot even provides the code for a signup
 form, which you include on your website.  You can see an
 example of it at the main URL above.  The list can be set
 up as either a Discussion (where everyone can post) or
 an announcement service, where only the list owner posts.
 It also offers a message archive, options for a moderated
 /unmoderated list, setting up other lists and managing them
 from one point, plus more remote administrative functions.

Now, some questions: 1. Has anyone here used the Deja
 News Forum or other forums (such as Delphi) with any
 success?  2.  Has any library used a mailing list to dispatch
 news to its patrons or to create a public list for patrons?
 If so, did you encounter any problems?  I see some really
 interesting possibilities with this, such as setting up short-term
 and long-term lists for discussions pertaining to a library's
 website or activities at the library (such as a book discussion
 series).  In theory, it seems appealing to have this feature
 for patrons.  I'm wondering if patrons might go for any of
 this, and if they do, how they handle the services--
 particularly younger patrons.  Has spamming been a
 problem? If so, I believe Listbot offers "private list"/private
 archive options, and this may alleviate some of the
 problems encountered in public mailing lists.

Robert

-