E-mail in Libraries

tonym at csl.northland.ac.nz tonym at csl.northland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 13 19:03:53 EDT 1998

In defence of Dan are we taking umbridge at calling certain people
BOZO's or are we debating e-mail access in Libraries or both?

For calling a user a BOZO...... I understand fully where Dan is
coming from. There is always those few whose disregard for their
peers and self centred outlook on life is equalled only by their
appalling ignorance of anything existing that may be of help to
them, (even when it is spoon fed them).

As for e-mail access to Libraries. This of course depends very
much on the type of Library. As an academic Library our emphasis
is ensuring that access is available to our users. Because we are a
small (particularly by your standards in the US) Library we offer e-
mail access through services like Hotmail. Like Dans' Library we
prioritise our clientele as well as the services offered through the
Internet. This is because of the numbers of access points to the
Internet and the numbers of students wanting to use them requires
management. It also means that chat, games etc are considered
very low priority. Research takes precedence. If/when we become
larger the likelihood of chat, games etc being allowed will end
accordingly.

regards,

Tony
Tony Morine