email in libraries

Donald Barclay donaldb at library.tmc.edu
Tue Oct 13 18:01:42 EDT 1998

Since when does the fact that someone is using a database mean that they are
doing something more scholarly than someone who is using e-mail? No reason
you can't use a database to look up articles about your favorite supermodel,
just as there is no reason you can't send and receive email of a scholarly
nature.

Arguments about rights and limited resources aside, I remember one of the
smartest things I ever heard a library director say. I was telling her that
lots of people were doing email on library computers and that some
librarians thought the practice should be banned.  She said, approximately,
"I'd rather have a student graduate from this university thinking of the
library as the place where he did his email than have him graduate thinking
of the library as the place where he never set foot in four years of college."

If email gets them in the door, it can't be that bad. And if there aren't
enough terminals, then figure out some way (like reserved time slots) for
everyone to share.

Donald A. Barclay                          always the beautiful answer
Houston Academy of Medicine-               who asks the more beautiful question
Texas Medical Center Library                        --e.e. cummings
donaldb at library.tmc.edu