[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Oct 13 17:32:22 EDT 1998

> It seems to be more a matter of
> expediency than reasoning that leads libraries to obstruct this kind of
> access. The difficulty of preventing excessive use and the obvious limits
> of resources *may* make this restriction necessary.

My experience is that this all started because libraries didn't want users
sending out e-mail using library servers thereby using resources and putting
a library-based return address on the outgoing mail.  But (as I ask my
students in my Policy classes) with the advent of Web-based e-mail the above
reasons are gone.  So, why still the no-no on e-mail?

(I agree with someone who mentioned a college situation where students have
access elsewhere on campus but what about in a public library?  Many still
have the e-mail restriction.)

             Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
         Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
              Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                  www.bcr.org/~msauers
             The WWW Library Directory is @
             www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/

         Top 10 Signs You're About to Be Impeached
 5. Library of Congress stops letting you sign out books.
                    --David Letterman

  Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.