[WEB4LIB] E-mail in libraries

Patricia Uttaro puttaro at mcls.rochester.lib.ny.us
Tue Oct 13 16:56:04 EDT 1998

Brenda, you said it beautifully. Email is not a frivolous use of library workstations and is a tool used frequently in my library by....people doing genealogical research....students requesting information from colleges....people requesting searches on rare books (booksearch.com)...students and adults sending messages to government representatives (an assigned task for our local junior & high school government/civics students)...parents communicating with children away at
college...to name just a few.

I am continually troubled by the heavy-handed approach some members of our profession take when it comes to recreational use of the Internet, particularly those in public libraries. So what if someone wants to use the Internet to play games or chat or send email? We provide popular reading materials in the line of cartoon collections, graphic novels, steamy romance novels, and books of trivia & games....why should we prohibit similar use of the Internet?

As a Youth Services librarian, I am especially troubled by this topic because most of the "perpetrators" targeted are kids. Is it not so much a "content" issue as an "age" issue? I wonder.....

Patricia Uttaro
Ogden Farmers' Library
Spencerport, NY 14559
puttaro at mcls.rochester.lib.ny.us