[WEB4LIB] E-mail in libraries

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Oct 13 16:29:00 EDT 1998

> This response is addressed to Dan Lester, who likes to refer to
> his library's patrons as "bozos" because they use chat, games,
> and e-mail at the local workstations. To Dan Lester:
> While I agree that users (not bozos) should not use library
> workstations for chat and games, e-mail is a legitimate tool
> for researchers, students and library patrons. It is a form of
> communication which libraries should encourage, not seek to
> block. I can think of several reference databases which allow
> users to forward results to themselves (citations and
> full-text) via e-mail. Listserv subscriptions are also a
> legitimate form of research for which e-mail access is necessary.
> Your attempt to block/filter patrons' use of e-mail is very
> narrow-minded and does nothing to address the real problem,
> which is the lack of adequate Internet resources/terminals for
> your library community. Your attempt to catagorize your
> library's patrons as bozos is demeaning to the library profession.

Now, now.  We're all bozos on this bus.

Before you attack Dan for narrow-mindedness, high-handedness,
short-sightedness, long-windedness, or any other anatomical feature
impacting service to users, you should check out his track record in
http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/Web4Lib/archive.html.  IMO, he's part of the
solution, not part of the problem.

For what it's worth, there is an honorable tradition in the computing
world of referring to clueless lurker newbie lusers by names that seem
less than flattering at first.  Web4Lib recently had a thread on getting
techies and librarians to understand each other; one point that should be
added post facto is that neither group should get ensnarled in the other's
jargon.

Thomas ("My mother was a bozette in college.") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu