E-mail in libraries

dublinpub at lycosmail.com dublinpub at lycosmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:56:49 EDT 1998

This response is addressed to Dan Lester, who likes to refer to his library's patrons as "bozos" because they use chat, games, and e-mail at the local workstations. To Dan Lester:
While I agree that users (not bozos) should not use library workstations for chat and games, e-mail is a legitimate tool for researchers, students and library patrons. It is a form of communication which libraries should encourage, not seek to block. I can think of several reference databases which allow users to forward results to themselves (citations and full-text) via e-mail. Listserv subscriptions are also a legitimate form of research for which e-mail access is necessary.
Your attempt to block/filter patrons' use of e-mail is very narrow-minded and does nothing to address the real problem, which is the lack of adequate Internet resources/terminals for your library community. Your attempt to catagorize your library's patrons as bozos is demeaning to the library profession.

Brenda (Bozo) Tyler

(Who would be unable to post this message from your library)