[WEB4LIB] RE: monitor resolution

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 13 08:52:57 EDT 1998

For those of you who are designing your web pages to only display at
higher resolutions, I ask "Why?"

The only element of a page that I can think would "force" your page to
higher resolutions is a graphic or graphics that are wider than a 640 x
480 resolution monitor can accomodate.  So why not adjust it so it fits??
I can understand if your page is "artistic" or some other specialized page
where the page "absolutely" has to display at a higher resolution but then
you are probably designing the page for a limited audience who will not be
put-out by doing so.

If you are designing a page for a more general audience, it seems that the
page design should be accomodating enough to display consistently for all
resolutions.  If your page can't do that, a redesign might need to be
examined.

<ducking for cover!>

Andrew Mutch
Electronic Services Support