[WEB4LIB] Re: web confering

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sat Oct 10 12:58:43 EDT 1998

> On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Charlotte G. Greenhalgh wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any reccommendations for a cross platform web based
> > conferenceing system?

Charlotte,

I've been using O'Reilly's WebBoard for almost two years and really like it.
You used to be able to get version 2 for "free" by buying their book "Building
Your Own Web Conference" for about $80 Canadian (it came included on a CD).
This version was somewhat limited by the number of conferences and virtual
boards you could set up, but you could always upgrade to the unlimited version.

Since then they've released a new version, and upped the price considerably,
but luck was with me, and I won a free copy by filling out their user survey
on what features we'd like to see in the new version.  I believe you can
probably still find the book/CD combo in bookstores, and you can download a 30
day fully funtional trial of version 3 from O'Reilly's website at http://webboard.oreilly.com/

It runs on NT, (which was important for me to be able to get it running
without help from my IT staff).  I've got it running on a Pentium 133 desktop
pc, running NT Workstation.  So it doesn't require a huge investment in
hardware.  This is for our intRAnet, however, so the requirements for intERnet
access may be more complicated.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Librarian
Spar Aerospace Ltd.
Work: ttripp at spar.ca
Home: ttripp at inforamp.net
### I saw two shooting stars last night,
### I wished on them, but they were only satellites...
### Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
                          - Billy Bragg