[WEB4LIB] New From Filtering Facts

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Oct 20 17:15:51 EDT 1998

Yeah, I should know better than to respond to David's
most-likely-apocryphal stories....but this one I just don't understand.
Maybe someone can answer the questions below.....and off list is fine with me.

At 06:05 PM 10/16/98 -0700, Filtering Facts wrote:
>"After several prior incidents of sperm being found by staff in the
>restroom on the floor after a particular set of brothers have been using

Did someone analyze the substance?  My guess would be that it could have
been semen....but would take microscopic examination to determine whether
any actual sperm were contained therein.   And, are there restroom passes
required?  Or is there just a "library restroom monitor" in charge of
examining the facilities after each use?   If so, does this monitor get
tips and hand out cloth towels instead of paper ones?

>the internet, I approached one of the patrons, asked him to my office
>and told him that we had seen a pattern of sperm and his internet use.

Now wait a minute.....you mean this person was monitored so closely that
someone watched that he was using the internet (and presumably also
monitored the type of sites he was visiting), then monitored his restroom
use, and finally examined the restroom for evidence after such use?   I
guess the concept of privacy is gone for good, huh?  Used to be that a
restroom was one of a very few places that one could go to meditate in
peace, but no more.

And, what pattern was that sperm/semen in, any way?  Was it decorative?

>After examining his hands for an extended period of time, I said that
>ejaculation was an inappropriate activity in the library. "

Why did it take an examination of the patron's hands?  Did the staff member
where rubber gloves for such examination?   I would surely hope so.  And,
if ejaculation is, by policy, I presume, an inappropriate activity for the
library, why did it take an examination of his hands to determine that?
And, is ejaculation the problem, or is the real problem that he didn't
clean up.   Heavens, there are much worse restroom activities I've cleaned
up after in academic libraries over the years.

This world does get curiouser and curiouser......

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/