Brief survey about hiring and retaining technical/systems staff

Larry P. Neal nealarry at metronet.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 16 16:17:56 EDT 1998

Dear Colleague,

As part of a program we are presenting at the fall Michigan Library
Association Conference, we are conducting a quick, national survey about
"who runs the system?" We will be sharing information about techniques for
hiring and retaining quality technical/systems staff for implementing and
managing LANs, workstations, Internet and intranet Web servers, databases,
and online catalogs. The emphasis will be on public libraries.

Please take a moment to respond to any of the questions below that interest
you. If you wish, a summary of the responses will be returned to you during
the last week of October.

Thank you for your input.

Deb Downing, Dolores Hayden, Ellen Lasky, and Larry Neal

Please send responses to: nealarry at metronet.lib.mi.us

SURVEY:

1. What's your favorite question asked in an interview to determine the
applicant's technical abilities?

2. What's your favorite unusual resource for recruiting staff for
technical/systems jobs?

3. With all of the money that corporations are throwing at technical/systems
staff these days, why do you chose to continue to work in the library world?

4. What are the most desirable traits to look for when hiring someone for an
technical/systems position?

5. Are there technical/systems positions where you consider a master of
library science necessary?

Please send responses to: nealarry at metronet.lib.mi.us