Hooks-to-Holdings: Who's doing what?

David Atkins atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:16:11 EST 1998

Crossposted to Web4LIB, PACS-L, STS-L, LIBNT-L.  My apologies for
any gratuitous duplication.

Greetings.

I'm conducting an informal, initial survey of libraries which are using
hooks-to-holdings to connect serials holdings information within opacs to
bibliographic citation information within locally or remotely mounted
databases -- One stop shopping:  Find a citation and receive local
holdings information at the same time.

For example, the Iowa State University Libraries and the LOUIS Consortium
both used NOTIS' InfoShare product to link libraries' holdings to
individual citations within locally mounted databases such as Reader's
Guide and Agricola.

I'm also interested in any efforts to include serials holding records from
web-based full-text aggregator services (e.g. Dow-Jones, Lexis-Nexis) or
document delivery services (e.g. UnCover) into library opacs.

For example, if you search the UTK Catalog (www.lib.utk.edu) for the
periodical title "Journal of American History," you'll retrieve records
for 3 holdings:  Local, Dow-Jones, & JSTOR.

The UT Libraries has implemented a first take on these two sides
of the hooks-to-holdings coin.  Now we're moving to document the project
and to write an article describing the project, etc.

At this stage, we're trying to see who all is doing what to give
perspective to the recent past and near future of such efforts at other
institutions.

Any information, white-papers, and anecdotes you could share would be
extremely helpful.

Please feel free to contact me directly.  I'll post a summary once
completed.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

David Atkins

David P. Atkins
Electronic Resources Librarian
John C. Hodges Library                            datkins at utk.edu
The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242