Netscape lock down using javascript and Boot image

Davej davej at ollamh.ucd.ie
Fri Nov 6 13:02:24 EST 1998

Greetings Web4libbers,

We are about to begin to allow public access to electronic resources
over the internet. Rather than using extra software (such as WinU) to
lockdown the desktop, our computing services department have set up a
boot image run over the network to do this (it works fine). The boot
image opens Netscape V4.07 standalone (but running over the network)
in sk mode and excecutes a html file containing javascript to lock
hotkeys, point to our home page and display the navigation toolbar
(by itself) at the top.

My prefs.js is similar to Hagen Amen's at
http://hapc.multnomah.lib.or.us/amenh/netscape.html
i.e. when a user clicks "search", "my netscape" or the "N" Logo it
simply redirects them back to the library home page

and my html file currently looks like this:

<script>

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege
("UniversalBrowserWrite");

window.open("index.html",
"Library","toolbar=yes,personalbar=0,menubar=0,titlebar=0,resizeable
=no, scrollbars=yes,hotkeys=0");

window.close("javascript.html");

 </script>

I would like to get some advice from any internet public access
veterans out there as to whether or not you forsee any difficulties
or issues that may arise once we let the P.C's loose into the jungle
;-)

For example does including the line:

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege
("UniversalBrowserWrite");
have any implications for us??
Does the fact that everything is running on the network mean that
nothing can really get damaged??

Thanks in advance!!

David Jones
Computing Assistant,