Pointer Records for Metadata

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.jsc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 5 11:54:08 EST 1998

I just came across this new idea (to me anyway) and wanted to see if
anyone has used it.

I'm embedding metadata in our HTML files.  However, more of our files
are going up in PDF format.  These are unable to have metadata embedded.

It is possible to create a pointer record holding only metadata and a
redirect to the PDF file.  That way spiders could find a record, display
a title, description and URL and the user could be directed invisibly to
the PDF file.

Sounds workable to me.  Is there something I'm overlooking?

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.jsc.nasa.gov
Lunar & Planetary Institute