[WEB4LIB] The End of the Netscape Browser?

David J. Ives eldjives at showme.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 24 22:10:44 EST 1998

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Dan Lester wrote:

> >From all the early analysis I've read on the Netscape-AOL-Sun deal, they
> talk about two things:
> 1. AOL is interested in the gateway and will continue using MSIE as a browser.
> 2. Sun is interested in the high-end server software and such.
>
> That seems to leave a "hole in the middle" where the browser might be
> guessed to live.
>
> Is this a reasonable interpretation?  Why or why not?

Well, given the fluidity of the situation, I'd say that any interpretation
can be considered reasonable at this point; including:

AOL drops their contract with MS at the end of the year and uses the
Netscape browser;

Sun optimizes the Netscape servers and business software for Java;

Intel builds Java into a chip on their chipset, and includes flash-upgrade
capabilities;

Corel dusts off the beta of their Java-based WordPerfect Office suite;

Everyone lives happily ever after.
8>)

David Ives

Library Technology Services