[WEB4LIB] Access or Oracle/SQL Server/Sybase

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Thu Nov 19 13:52:17 EST 1998

A relatively inexpensive way to do this would be with AOLServer
<http://www.aolserver.com/> and Solid.
	AOLServer is free and has all of the C and Tcl APIs you could ask for
already built in. It includes drivers for Solid, Illustra and PostgreSQL.
There are drivers available via the web for Oracle and, I believe, Sybase.
	PostgreSQL is free, but I can't say for sure whether it would handle your
8000 records. You could give it a try.
	You can get Solid for about $1000.00, and you're set.
	Of course if you happen to have Oracle sitting around, that's the way to go.
	I can't say whether Access could handle your database or not. But assuming
you plan to grow this thing, why not go with something that's going to
grow with you? But I'm no DBA, so I'll leave it at that.
	Downside of AOLServer; it isn't OpenSource, so it doesn't get developed
for the Internet Community at large like Apache does. If you're a
programmer type I'm sure you can get Apache to work with your database in
fairly short order. But it's hard to beat the features already included in
AOLServer. I don't know why more sites don't use it.

Bob

At 08:01 AM 11/19/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I want to build what I consider to be a medium-sized bibliographic
>database of about 8,000 records which will employ several related
>tables.  It will be made accessible over the Web, support print
>publications, local and remote data capture, and generally be the
>workhorse of a project.
>
>Some say Access can handle something this size without difficulty.
>Others say it shouldn't be used for more than a personal Christmas
>card list.
>
>Can you offer personal experience or point me to resources which
>discuss where Access' limitations make themselves felt?
>
>Eric Lee
>ericlee at oise.utoronto.ca

Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
Automation Technical Assistant
410 742 1537	(v)
410 548 5807	(fx)
bob at esrl.lib.md.us