[WEB4LIB] Web/ADA/uh oh...

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Fri Nov 13 11:50:14 EST 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Shirl Kennedy wrote:

> Web focal to blind man's complaint
>
> SAN FRANCISCO -- A blind man has filed a complaint against a mass transit
> commission, claiming his inability to access its Web site of bus and train
> schedules violates federal law.
>
> USA Today (11/12/98- Updated 02:53 PM ET)
> http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/ctd831.htm

USA Today didn't mention the site in question, but I believe it is
http://www.transitinfo.org

I did a quick cursory look at the site with Lynx (text based browser) and
was able to display bus schedules and other written notices. (There's only
a small amount of graphics on that site anyway).

Of course, bus schedule maps would be a problem for the blind, whether
they be in print or online . . .

Now, there are more than a few bus schedule sites that are not accessible
in text-only mode, and these need to be dealt with.