[WEB4LIB] Re: Why upgrade to Communicator?

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Tue Nov 3 10:45:04 EST 1998

>On my office station I also keep a copy of 2.0 which I use 90% of the time.
>It loads MUCH faster than 4.x and (so far) gets me into 90+% of the sites I
>need.
>I find I can often open 2 - get to the site I need - and back out again -
>before 4.x with all its extras even finishes loading.
>FWIW- We skipped over 3.x almost entirely. As sluggish as 4.x has been - 3
>was worse.

As per the YMMV aspec of the Net, my experience has been that Netscape 3.04
(stand alone edition) is faster than 4.x (though not faster than 2.0 I will
admit!). I have both 3.04 and 4.5 on my desktop and use 3.04 90% of the
time as I too have found that 4.x can be _very_ sluggish.  We have 3.04 on
all our public Reference computers, and had debated to upgrade to 4.5 but
have decided not to right now.  I recommend 3.04 over 2.0 because many of
the sites we have our patrons connect to on our Reference machines use
Java, JavaScript, cookies, etc, and various HTML 3.2 coding that 3.04
handles more thoroughly than 2.0 does.

TTFN,
David Merchant

Systems Librarian