[WEB4LIB] Re: Filtering/ Censorship....

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Tue Nov 3 10:29:57 EST 1998

I've already responded direct to Joyce but for anyone else who is interested
a product called Cyber Snoop by Pearl Software also allows full control over
what is blocked.  It allows specific services (chat, e-mail, etc) to be
blocked or specific addresses. It does not filter based on words and does
not come with a preloaded block list.  It was reviewed , along with Net
Nanny and other similar products, earlier this year in PC Magazine and won
their Editor's Choice Award.  I suspect the review could still be found on
the magazine's web site.

We have used the software for about six months (to limit access to sex sites
in our Children's Room and to restrict general Internet surfing on a
research systems) and it works well for us.

I am not up for debating if we should filter or not, but if someone wants
more details about this product I'll be glad to share.