[WEB4LIB] Why upgrade to Communicator?

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Tue Nov 3 08:57:40 EST 1998

At 06:11 AM 11/3/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Are there any advantages to upgrading from Netscape Navigator
>to Communicator. I'm currently running Navigator 3.0 on all of
>our Internet workstations, but have yet to be convinced that
>there is a need to upgrade to the latest version of
>Communicator. . . .

Congratulations for being brave enough to ask this question.

First - I do have a copy of 4 on my machine and I do use it when I HAVE to
get to a site that HAS to use Java and\or cookies.  I even use Page
Composer from time to time - although I always have to go back in manually
and clean up needless code.  We provide the standalone browser component of
4 on our public stations.  We will probably soon upgrade to 4.5.  So - I am
not anti "progress".
BUT -
On my office station I also keep a copy of 2.0 which I use 90% of the time.
It loads MUCH faster than 4.x and (so far) gets me into 90+% of the sites I
need.
I find I can often open 2 - get to the site I need - and back out again -
before 4.x with all its extras even finishes loading.
FWIW- We skipped over 3.x almost entirely. As sluggish as 4.x has been - 3
was worse.

So- Why upgrade??? There is no one right answer - it depends on your needs.
For me I find that while I CAN drive down to the corner market in my motor
home - and that allows me to watch tv - and cook breakfast while I'm on the
way.  If all I really want to do is to pick up milk and eggs -- my Metro
hatchback is MUCH easier to get around in.

All standard disclaimers apply

Paul H. Gray, Learning Resources Manager	Phone:  (817)515-6623
TCJC Northeast LRC				Fax:    (817)515-6275
828 Harwood Road				E-Mail: phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Hurst, Texas 76054