[WEB4LIB] Why upgrade to Communicator?

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Nov 3 09:31:44 EST 1998

Michael,

If your machines will support running the 4.0 version, there are several
benefits to running Navigator 4.0 over version 3.0.

Probably the biggest benefit is that you can run a stand-alone version of
Navigator that does not have any of the mail components that you find in
version 3.0.  This is often a source of problems for both patrons and
staff.

Other benefits of version 4.0 include:

Better support for running Java and handling Javascript
Support of style sheets (well, not really, but sort of!)
Ability to lock-in preferences using the prefs.js file
"Self-cleaning" caches

In general, I've found that version 4.0 Navigators perform better than 3.0
versions and that they can handle the wide variety of web sites employing
Java, Javascript, Dynamic HTML and other features that version 3.0 will
often trip up on.

If you decide not to upgrade to 4.0, make sure that you are running the
most current version 3.0, which is 3.04 (last time I checked!).  It
handles Java reasonably well while earlier versions choke on it quite
often.

Andrew Mutch
Electronic Services Support
Northville District Library