[WEB4LIB] The End of the Netscape Browser?

Margaret F. Dikel mfriley at erols.com
Wed Nov 25 08:06:10 EST 1998

At 04:25 PM 11/24/98 -0800, Dan Lester wrote:
>>From all the early analysis I've read on the Netscape-AOL-Sun deal, they
>talk about two things:
>1. AOL is interested in the gateway and will continue using MSIE as a
browser.
>2. Sun is interested in the high-end server software and such.
>
>That seems to leave a "hole in the middle" where the browser might be
>guessed to live.

No, because (1) the Netscape browser is still popular enough to warrant
continued production and support and (2) AOL said this morning that they
want to market it to businesses.  Check http://www.washingtonpost.com

BTW, AOL has also said they want to continue working with Microsoft
and MSIE.   I'd say Steve Case is covering all his bases for the time
being...

Margaret

Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
11218 Ashley Dr.                  The Riley Guide
Rockville, MD  20852           www.dbm.com/jobguide
301-984-4229                      mfriley at erols.com
301-984-6390 FAX             Margaret_Riley at dbm.com