IP Authentication for Databases-Prob

Chris Schlipalius schlipac at boris.curtin.edu.au
Mon Nov 23 11:30:12 EST 1998

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has successfully developed a solution that
allows access for clients to IP authenticated Web Database providers (eg
Butterworths).

We are looking at moving to the next generation of products, but we need to
solve the problem of ISP-based clients (who have different IP's from my
organizations').

At the moment, we pass users through an authentication script (which does
the authent session with the server of the provider) on our Solaris box.
After this, the client has a session with the Web-accessed database.

The difficulty we have is if clients of ours want to access IP-restricted
providers, we have no way at present of giving them an IP that would be
recognized as ours.
We cannot change the clients' proxy server settings (as most ISP's have a
proxy or two that they pass their clients through- eg Squid).
What we are looking for it seems is an intermediatory server (bastion
server perhaps?) or CGI scripting running on an intermediatory server, or
Java on the client-side browser.

Has anyone done this or knows of a solution?

We get a great many of our users using more than a dozen ISP's to access
around the clock.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions to this tricky problem.

Regards,

Chris Schlipalius

IT Systems Assistant
Citrix Winframe Administrator

Systems and Technology
Curtin University of Technology
Library and Information Service

GPO BOX U1987
PERTH Western Australia 6845

Tel: (08) 9266 3553   Fax: (08) 9266 2424
Email: schlipac at boris.curtin.edu.au