Access Control for Rental Computers-Advice

Alexandra Houff ahouff at gte.net
Fri Nov 20 13:50:59 EST 1998

Hello All,

Previously a lurker, I am venturing to the list for some advice.

We are a unique library in that we are a career development non-profit
whose library is open to members and those who purchase one-time day
passes. Technically we are a special library with public access.

We currently have twelve public access PCs. A very basic overview:

4 Pentium IBM 300GLs running Win95, IE 3.0, Fortres 101, VirusScan 3.0, all
connected (not networked) to an IBM Network Printer 12 PCL (free internet
access to members). Most heavily used application.

4 HP Vectras 486/33N running Win 3.1, WordPerfect 6.0, Word 6, VirusScan
3.0, and Direct Access (a DOS based access control program)($6.00 per hour
for word processing), HP laser printer

4 HP Vectras 486/33N Running DB/Searchworks 1.3 and a legacy FoxPro
database (free access for catalog and proprietary database). HP Laser printer

Our problem (among many, it seems) is that we are looking to upgrade to 16
Pentium IIs with the goal to increase access to the internet, upgrade to
Office97 and provide multi-application access on any computer. However,
since some applications are free, while others carry a fee, is there any
way to segment applications and bill for them? I have looked at DeskTracy
by KansasBay Systems, WinU by Bardon Software, Public Access Manager by
Invortex and CDB Cybrarian. We would like to avoid installing a library
server, as we don't have a huge budget. I won't even begin to explore the
pay per print miasma we will have to address.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about any of these
applications? Is anyone currently in the same situation? Any replies would
be greatly appreciated. Please reply to me off-list and if requested, I
will summarize.
Also, if there is another list to which this would be better addressed,
please inform.

Thank you very much in advance.
Alexandra M. Houff
Resource Center Sr. Associate