[WEB4LIB] Help Desk Software Solutions -- cross-posted

sean dreilinger sean at interactivate.com
Wed Nov 18 23:27:09 EST 1998

David Merchant wrote:
> Sorry for cross-posting, I'm interested in help desk software solutions,
> preferably one with a web interface and can run off Unix, though will

> University with a very small (too small) library staff so I really don't
> need a "power" solution.  Any ideas, hints, testimonials, critiques,
> pointers to resources will be helpful.

two tools by dave shevett may be good starting points - the older PTS is
free ware, a decent html interface to a back-end sql database. a
gorgeous new program he is building called keystone has a commercial
license, but i think its only in the neighborhood of $500.
http://www.stonekeep.com/ has info on both. there may also be a
help-desk or trouble-ticket category on http://freshmeat.net/ a very hip
online database of linux/unix-friendly applications.

hardest part of getting PTS going for my workplace is encouraging its
use, people still tend to rely on phone calls and email and regret it
when occasional tasks get forgotten or deadlines are overlooked. web
access is definitely the way to do a system like this if your people
need access from anywhere other than a dedicated desktop computer.

HTH
--
                           sean dreilinger, mlis
                   mailto:sean at interactivate.com