[WEB4LIB] Moving to IE 4.0 and NS 4.0 - Locking Down?

Don Yarman yarmando at netra.clc.lib.oh.us
Wed Nov 18 14:51:32 EST 1998

Lida Pinkham wrote:

> Our library system is researching a move to IE 4.0 and/or NS 4.0 for our
> patrons.  (We are currently using NS 3.0 only with IKIOSK) We
> would like to
> know if any of you are able to lock down the new browser versions
> sufficiently to prevent the patron from doing the following:
>
> *	accessing menus
> *	accessing the pc's hard drive (except c:\temp)
> *	adding/removing bookmarks
> *	changing preferences (options in IE)
> *	right-clicking

I'm looking into this as well.  Currently we're testing
a program called "SiteKiosk" that shows promise.  (Is
anyone using it for real?  What do you think of it?)

Still finding it hard to believe that there isn't
a simple solution to this problem that every single
one of us have, I remain your incredulous servant,

					Don Yarman
					Grandview Hts Public Library
					yarmando at clc.lib.oh.us