Moving to IE 4.0 and NS 4.0 - Locking Down?

Pinkham, Lida LPinkham at plcmc.lib.nc.us
Wed Nov 18 13:42:15 EST 1998

Our library system is researching a move to IE 4.0 and/or NS 4.0 for our
patrons.  (We are currently using NS 3.0 only with IKIOSK) We would like to
know if any of you are able to lock down the new browser versions
sufficiently to prevent the patron from doing the following:

*	accessing menus
*	accessing the pc's hard drive (except c:\temp)
*	adding/removing bookmarks
*	changing preferences (options in IE)
*	right-clicking

If you have been successful, how did you do it and what tools did it
involve?

Lida Pinkham
Training Resource Coordinator
Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg
704-353-0631
lpinkham at plcmc.lib.nc.us
http://www.plcmc.lib.nc.us

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the
same place.  If you want to get somwhere else, you must run at least twice
as fast."
~Lewis Carrol, Through the Looking Glass