[WEB4LIB] DOH! Re: Fonts and Zoom utilities

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Mon Nov 16 13:16:54 EST 1998

Life happens my fine friend.

Oh, "conventional" wisdom from
typographers says that Times/Courier
and the like of Serifs is best for print (hardcopy)
but the source I cited was *groundbreaking* to this
extent also... the first to say that there is *no* significant
difference between sans vs. serif for print. Generally
typographers have said that serif was significantly better
for readability for print.

So, at least think about this colleagues. What is
always thought of as "known, conventional" may not
be correct in current and future terms. Certainly keep
your minds open. My suggestion for those hunting
a dissertation or thesis topic is a good one trust me.

Our thinking about thinking has recently changed.
If you don't believe me, do some searching with
these keywords: MIT, PET scanning
studies, and CTI.

You will indeed be surprised! Technology
now allows us to experiment on live subjects doing for
instance logic problem solving. It shows the "hotspots"
and how little brain cells are used in the case of math
savants. That'ssss right! Less brain cells means faster
solving ability! Now if you think about it, reminds you of
cache memory right?

> I think you are right, this makes sense.  Also, I have to admit that I was
> writing before I had my coffee (and this shows me I'm needing coffee way
> too much, that's not good) and misread things, reading "sans serif" as
> "serif"....  Sigh.

Cool eh!
--
P.A. Gantt, Computer Science Technology Instructor
http://user.icx.net/~pgantt/etech/