[WEB4LIB] Re: Web/ADA/uh oh...

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Mon Nov 16 09:01:27 EST 1998

Here is a link list I developed that mixes good web
design with accessibility links for an instructor
workshop Summer of '98 I assisted with as tech. support.

Please cite me if you use either of these files or provide a link back.

http://user.icx.net/~pgantt/development/laboratory/

Turns out what is simple clean web design is also
great web best practice for accessibility. For get the
silly bells and whistles and go for content.

Also think about joining the Web Standards Organization
that not only is concerned with browser compatibility but
also accessibility.

Also think of joining the various ADA lists that can be
found using Liszt or other list of lists.

> The site http://www.cast.org/bobby (cast = Center for Applied Special
> Technology) allows users to plug in a web site and "Bobby the online
> accessibility cop" tells you how accessible the site is.  I put in
> www.mtc.ca.gov and Bobby's main complaint to deny a stamp of approval was
> the lack of alternate text for some images.  There were also a bunch of
> recommendations Bobby made.

BTW I know Shirl. She was pointing out the necessity of making your
web sites accessible to all. So thanks Shirl for the send and the opportunity
to bring up accessibility and start the discussion thread rolling.

.org, .us, .gov, and .edu are required by
ADA law to be accessible. Think about it, then do it. Use an alternate
"all text option" if you are highly graphical and use <alt> liberally.

--
P.A. Gantt, Computer Science Technology Instructor
http://user.icx.net/~pgantt/etech/