Linux & thin-client computing

Rhyno Art arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca
Sun May 31 15:45:51 EDT 1998

We are currently using two types of "thin client" architectures for our
public stations and are considering adding a third variation to the list.
Our most widely deployed solution is to use CITRIX, which has the advantage
of letting us run windows-based applications on 386/486 machines with 8 MB
or less RAM. The DOS client for CITRIX has very few resource requirements,
though there are significant screen resolution and licensing issues that
are associated with this solution, especially now that Microsoft has
entered the fray with their HYDRA solution. The other solution we have used
comes from Sun with their JavaStations. Though we see some promise with
these units, it is still too early to tell if this approach makes the most
sense for public stations. Through various upgrades and other developments,
we are also assembling a growing base of 486DX stations with 16 MB or more
RAM. One option we are exploring is to use Linux on these units. Linux has
smaller requirements than windows and can offer a very respectable Java
environment that takes full advantage of the machine's resources. The
software revision control systems available for Linux may also offer a
method of keeping the stations up to date.

I am curious if anyone has investigated the use of Linux for public
workstations. I know Linux is used extensively for web servers and other
components of library network services, but I would be interested in
hearing from anyone who has used Linux for public stations.

art
---
Art Rhyno, Systems Librarian
Leddy Library, University of Windsor