AutoSpawn Browser Sessions

Jim Rosaschi jimros at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Wed May 27 21:16:45 EDT 1998

The problem we are having is mostly with users who access recreational
graphic sex sites on our public use workstations.  We use Netscape.

The user will have many simultaneous browsers open at a time.  These are
generally spawned by the remote server, and are not something the user
has initiated. In some cases, windows can't be closed down easily or
without a reboot of the PC.  When the next user sits down, there may be a
dozen separate windows, each having been spawned from a different site.

Setting the number of connections to a "1" does not help.  We have looked
at Ikiosk/WinSelect, Cooler, Folderbolt, etc. and haven't yet found
anything that really addresses this situation.  Yahoo! mail does a
similar thing, but only opens one additional window.

Anybody know how to REALLY limit the browser to one window at a time?

Jim Rosaschi
Sonoma County Library