Macintosh Browser Security

Kevin Justie kjustie at nslsilus.ORG
Wed May 27 16:11:47 EDT 1998

>We run a PC-compatible environment at our library, however we have
>just received two Macintosh II cx's as donations and feel that they
>would probably work fine as web browsing machines.  Are there any
>easy methods for locking these machines down in some sort of kiosk
>mode so that the desktops and configurations are not being
>continually re-arranged.  Any help or leads would be most
>appreciated.

Though we're in the opposite situation -- all Mac except our Internet PCs
-- we've had a public general-use Mac for many years.  We protect it with
Folderbolt Pro from KentMarsh (www.kentmarsh.com).  It has folder-by-folder
locking, and the ability to lock the entire desktop.  In addition, you can
use ResEdit, a resource editor available from Apple
(http://swupdates.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/lister.pl?Apple.Support.Area/Apple.Soft
ware.Updates/US/Macintosh/Utilities), to disable browser menu items you
don't want people to use.

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library, Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.webrary.org/
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
official Library policy.

***   "The box said Windows 95 or better,...So I bought a Mac."   ***