Restricting the downloading of .exe,.zip files

Lacroix Christian lacroich at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon May 25 00:41:29 EDT 1998

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Marty Williams wrote:

> Having recently come across a situation in one of our libraries (a joint =
> use school / community) where a clever lad downloaded and installed a pice =
> of software that logs all logins we are obviously concerned about the =
> security implications. As a possible solution I would like to know if =
> anyone has found a means of restricting the files that can be downloaded =
> from the web? If we could ensure that executable or zipped files cannot be =
> downloaded, this would go some way towards prevention.

This kind of lad would probably know the trick to "save as" and change
or remove the extension, and then rename it with the proper one (.exe or
.zip) when it's saved on a disk (hard or floppy). So I don't think this
solution could solve all the problems.

     wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    :			 Christian Lacroix			;
    :		     lacroich at ERE.UMontreal.ca			;
    :		    Bibliothécaire professionnel		;
    :			  Quebec, Canada 	  		;
     wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww