Apache: uncompressing 'on the fly'?

Steve Thomas sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
Tue May 19 01:39:36 EDT 1998

A technical question (craving the indulgence of non-technical members):

Is there a way of having the Apache web server uncompress files 'on the
fly', i.e. of having a compressed file automatically de-compressed byt the
server when responding to the user's request for the document?

I thought I recalled something about this, but can't find a reference to it
in the Apache docs (which probably means it can't).

(I already know how to do this with a cgi script, thanks anyway. I'm hoping
for a built-in module in Apache that will do it transparently.)

Regards,

Steve
 Stephen Thomas, Senior Systems Analyst
 Mail : Barr Smith Library, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005
 Phone: (08) 8303 5190                                   Fax: (08) 8303 4369
 Email: sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
 URL  : http://library.adelaide.edu.au/ual/staff/sthomas.html
 ** Unless otherwise stated, the content of this message reflects only my **
 ** own opinion, and not the policy of the University of Adelaide Library.**

 "I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's" -- William Blake