CSS2 and Core Styles

Pete Peter.J.Gilbert at lawrence.edu
Fri May 15 17:27:55 EDT 1998

Hi,

>From a recent message to Web4Lib:

>Has anyone tried to print that zigzag page? I tried but got 5 blank pages
>with some gibberish stuff on page 5. Is it the problem of CSS or the web
>browser? I'm using Netscape 4.04.

I don't necessarily want to prolong this discussion, but this printing problem
sounds like the same problem that has been driving me crazy for the last week:
printing a page that uses CSS "classes."

We wrote a short (one screen) page using a CSS class:

<!--
.lubody {  font-family: Times New Roman, Times, serif; font-size: 11pt; line-
height: 16pt; color: #000000; }
-->

and it looks great on the screen but printing from the machine on my desk
(Win95, Netscape 4.05, printing to a HP laserjet), I get 10 or 11 pages either
blank or with one line of text.

The page prints fine from my desk if I use IE4 -- or if I remove the
stylesheet.

My first guess was that it was a buggy NS implementation of CSS classes. But
the page prints fine from our public machines (win95, NS4.04, printing to the
same HP).

Oh well. Guess I'm just venting -- but if you know what's going on here, I'd be
happy to hear.

Best,
Pete

peter.j.gilbert at lawrence.edu