CSS2 and Core Styles

Greg MacGowan macgowan at BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri May 15 10:18:56 EDT 1998

At 12:45 PM 5/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried to print that zigzag page? I tried but got 5 blank pages
>with some gibberish stuff on page 5. Is it the problem of CSS or the web
>browser? I'm using Netscape 4.04.

I'm using Netscape 4.05, and while I didn't get blank pages, the "intro"
text failed to wrap and the stanza was aligned left with only only a
slightly curving indentation.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I think I see the value of CSS for
large web sites and for text which uses exceptional styles, such as Tom's
example. However, I also think that for the vast majority of uses and
users, there is NO advantage to be gained by using CSS rather than the
default style sheet. I will continue to read about and play with CSS in the
event that I can use it in my own work, but I don't see it as quite the
panacea that some people would have us believe it is. (BTW, and the same
goes for XML!  (-:   )

Greg S. MacGowan
Information Technologies Coordinator (and Webmaster)
Brandeis University Libraries
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA, USA  02254-9110

phone: (781) 736-4690 (W)
fax:    (781) 736-4719
mailto: macgowan at Brandeis.edu

"Doing your best is a lot of effort, so why not do OK and then relax?" --
Rick Cleary