Problem saving Word files/Possible virus?

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Wed May 13 19:00:50 EDT 1998

Mary Bush wrote:

> Has anyone encountered a virus infecting Word that inhibits saving files =
> and responds with "permission denied" ? =20
> I have tried "save", "save as", opening a new file and then trying to =
> "insert"  the file and I still get one of 3 error messages-
> "permission denied"
> "disk may be full or write protected"
> "directory or file cannot be created".
> Actually, the error message started with "permission denied" and has now =
> gone into the other 2 varieties.
> I have plenty of disk space, this happens no matter how many programs are =
> open at one time, and the file (s) are not write protected.

I don't believe this is a virus.  I've seen this problem a number of
times with Word 97; not sure about 6.0.  It's one of Bill's undocumented
features.  Word/Office 97 has a service pack that addressed this (I
think), along with about a zillion other problems.  You might peruse
Microsoft's knowledgebase for a pack for 6.0.

Trying saving the file somewhere else on the network.  If you can't save
the file anywhere from Word, paste it into a different application, like
notepad, and save it from there; close Word; restart Word; retrieve
file; save.  If the problem persists; reboot the station; try again.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc./CD Solutions
mailto:dennis at dati.com