Style Sheets

Wilfred Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Wed May 13 13:24:13 EDT 1998

Jenne Heise, Idea Hamster wrote:

> Er... you lose nothing. Style sheets are fully compatible with earlier
> browsers. Really fully compatible, not 'Netscape says'-- we've tried it, and
> it works.
>
> The cool thing about style sheets is that you can define how you want things
> to look, once, and use the style sheet over and over again.

I can do that now using server side includes and templates
that work for all browsers.  I can also do a search/replace
across my whole site if I need to.

> Style sheets isn't the difference between <B> and <STRONG>. It's the ability
> to define <STRONG> as being red, or in a different font, or underlined, and/or
> bold. You can redefine <CITE> to look different: underlined for chemistry,
> bold and italic for book reviews, etc.

I can do that now with HTML that works on most browsers.

> And at the very least, you can define a standard background/color scheme and
> change it only once, on the style sheet, and have that apply to every page you
> used the style sheet on!

See my comments above.

> Examples: my review site at:
>     http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/witchbib/
> has special cite and H3 tags specified.

Nothing there that can't be done with standard html.  If CSS
don't give you added functionality why use them?

Am I missing the point or am I just turning into a
curmudgeon?  I see no incentive to use style sheets until
they become the standard.  The results are the same, no
added functionality as there can be with Java/JavaScripts,
no real improvements in control of the results, and clearly
a lack of compatibility across various browsers and
platforms.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems,
Reference)
powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
Do not forward my messages without my explicit permission.