STYLE SHEETS: background colors in a table

Diane Madrigal DMADRIGA at MAIL.NYSED.GOV
Fri May 8 17:27:37 EDT 1998

For my first foray into style sheets, I tried to attach the STYLE attribute to a TD tag to change the background color of a one-celled table. But there seem to be two choices, background or background-color. Using

<TD  STYLE="background-color:99CCFF">

produced the desired results in Netscape (4.04) but not in Internet Explorer (3.0). Using

<TD  STYLE="background:99CCFF">

on the other hand, worked in IE but not Netscape. (Neither worked in Netscape 3.0, but I expected that.)

Can any of the style sheet advocates explain which version is correct and what's going on here? If you want to take a look, the page is at:

<http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/Scandoc2.html>

Thanks!

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library