censorship?: The Webster Newspeak Dictionary

Elisabeth Roche eroche at sisnaaz.com
Wed May 6 16:42:21 EDT 1998

This is serious, IMHO. Apologies for reposting from another newsgroup this
message. Please give this your complete attention.

Thank you.

Elisabeth Roche Roche Limits
mailto:eroche at opus1.com

---fwd original message---
Warning:  Apologies if this posts twice; mail is loopy today...

Folks, I admit this is not a 100% Internet related issue...YET.

Looks like one of the most famous dictionary publishers in the world is
going to start specially flagging "offensive" words or terms...the
management claims that they do not want to enter a political fray over
this, but remember, many feel that even setting apart such words paves
the way for having them removed.  This is EXACTLY what some
pro-censorship parties are fighting for, believe it or not...

http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9805/05/word.fight/index.html

Truly disturbing...I mean if they are flagging a PRINT edition, it's not
like a kid or easily offended person is going to be able to AVOID
looking at the word!

Just thought that this would be of intense interest to the online
community, as we seem to be the latest canary in the coal mine of media
censorship....

Read banned books.  Even if that eventually means the dictionary.

--Jen
--
"G-d is a shout in the street" -- James Joyce

Disclaimer:  The contents of this letter, and the content of any sites
referenced in this letter, does not in any way reflect the views,
opinions or policies of my employer.