Public Ethernet Connections

Bob Cherry cherry at banjo.com
Thu May 28 16:35:29 EDT 1998

This can create a real can of worms from a support perspective.  The reason
is that an Internet/Ethernet connection requires the PC to be configured
with an assigned (fixed) IP address.  Ethernet connections must also be
made to override dialup type connections.  It can be done and knowledgable
folks can do it quickly however, the layperson isn't prepared to handle
netmasks, default routers, static IP addresses, etc.  People will have to
reconfigure their networking to do this and you'll need to insure that each
ethernet address being used is unique.  You may want to look into the
logistics of managing this before you commit to it.

Bob Cherry
Internet Network Consultant